Subject: Re: DEC machines
From: Marc Dole <[email-masked]>
To: The LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 10:22:23 -0400

With all this talk about DEC Alpha's, and them being the fastest machines,
well for the most part they are, make sure you see benchmarks on the System
before you buy.

A 266mhz Alpha could only be the speed of a Pentium 133.  Well hey thats me.
I have a 21066, An older Alpha but still widely available, that runs 266mhz
and it is +/- 1% as fast as my Pentium 133.  Yes I did by the Machine over 1
year ago, and I have no complaints because it was one of the fastest at the
time.  

So when you see a great price on a Alpha that runs under 200mhz (even the
21064 chips) remember the name doesn't mean speed, but if you research stand
back and that that thing render.

I am upgrading my machine to a 21064A 300mhz Nekotech Mach2.  This machine
is not the fastest on the market, but the price is right and its twice the
speed of a Pentium 133.

Anybody want a 21066 Motherboard with 266mhz chip and 256k cache?

 Marc Dole (603) 659-7778   "3D - We don't need no stinkin' glasses"
    Alpha Lightwave Animator / Dr. of the Speed Razor / Flyer Pilot
                            http://www.bluefin.net/~madvideo

--- From the LightWave mailing list <[email-masked]> --------
--- This message posted by:  Marc Dole <[email-masked]>
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- For information, send e-mail to:  [email-masked] --------
--- Message should include the phrase INFO LIGHTWAVE on a line by itself ---